Norman Loudon, businessman and owner of
Flicker Productions, purchased Littleton Park, a 60 acre facility located
15 miles from London with the intent of expanding his business. Loudon was
successful in his production of 'Flicker' books but wanted to get into the
Loudon formed Sound City Film Producing
& Recording Studios and set up Shepperton Studios in 1932. By 1934,
demand was so great that Shepperton had to be expanded.
At the outbreak of World War II, Shepperton
was requisitioned by the Minister of Defense and used to create decoys of
all types that were used all over the UK.
In 1945, at the end of the war Loudon announced the
re-opening of Shepperton but was soon bought out by Alexander Korda and
his London Films Corp.
Studio City was renamed British Lion Studio Company
and Shepperton was used to produce major films for both London Films and
By 1955, heavy in debt, the loans by the government
were called in and studio and companies were placed into receivership. British
Lion Films Limited was formed and took over the assets of British Lion and
the direction of British Lion moved to primarily distribution and financing
independents in utilizing the facilities.
By 1964, back into debt, the government sold off the
studio and companies to a private investment group headed by Michael Balcon.
In 1972, Barclay Securities acquired the studio and continued producing
numerous major films until being acquired in 1984 by Lee International.
In 1995, brothers Ridley and Tony Scott head a consortium
that purchased Shepperton.
In 2000, Rank purchased the studio by sold it to Pinewood
Studio which mergered the 2 studios together.
In 2004, Pinewood Shepperton successfully floated
on the London Stock Exchange.
In 2005, Pinewood Shepperton purchased Teddington
Studios in another expansion to make it one of the largest media parks in
Here's their official