Morgan Litho Co.
The most dominant litho company in the movie
poster industry had it's beginning right after the Civil War when William
J. Morgan and George William Morgan opened their doors in 1866. The initial
name of the company was WJ Morgan Lithographers.
Some of the accomplishments include their
claim to have invented the billboard and they were the first litho company
handling movie posters to switch from stone litho to offset press.
They became the dominant lithographer until
1957 when National Screen Service
bought Continental Litho
to provide the plates. After a 2 year transitional period for NSS, Morgan
closed their doors in 1960.
To take a look a what Morgan posters we have
currently in our database, click
The advanced research below
is for LAMP Member only.
For more information, click
For a more in depth history on Morgan Litho,
Before 1935, Morgans numbering system was
erratic, here's a report on the Early
Here's their numbering system starting with
1935 - Morgan numbering system.
Here is a chart showing the Morgan